Excerpt from Biweekly Report:
On April 6, the Argentine government postponed local debt payments due in dollars until the end of the year. Argentina has had an unstable debt situation for some time and the pandemic has not helped. There were already projections for the third year of recession before the virus arrives for the second-largest nation in South America. It is much deeper and worse now with the virus impact. On April 8, the Chilean government announced the second state of the economic emergency plan focusing on health, life, income, and jobs. I’m curious to the details of funding to support jobs and families. Additionally, how will businesses and banks be impacted? As for Uruguay, being such a small country, they are used to relying on themselves. A 20% cut will be applied to wages of the president, ministers, legislators, and directors to go to the “Coronavirus Fund.” They created their own Coronavirus test and have sequenced the coronavirus genome from patients at the end of March to understand the tracking of the spread of the virus. … Read More.
List of top sources:
- AS/COA on Argentina, Chile, Uruguay
- Dentons COVID-19 Hub on Chile
- Global Legal Monitor on Chile, Uruguay
Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran is an accomplished educator, innovative speaker, entrepreneur, consultant, cultural intelligence and diversity & inclusion expert with over 24+ years of experience in the public and private sectors. Dr. Villagran is an assistant professor with San José State University School of Information where her research focuses on diversity and social justice in library and information science and cultural intelligence phenomena within libraries. She also serves as CEO of CulturalCo, LLC consulting in areas of cultural competency, diversity & inclusion, conflict resolution, and emotional intelligence.
- Villagran, M. A. L., & Hawamdeh, S. (2020). Cultural competence in LIS education: Case study of United States ranked schools. Multicultural Education Review. https://doi.org/10.1080/2005615X.2020.1756091
- Villagran, M. A. L., Dalton, S., Chandler, Y., Garces, V., Kim-Prieto, D. C., & Nicholson, C. A. (2018). Celebrating diversity: A legacy of minority leadership in the American Association of Law Libraries (2nd ed.).William S. Hein & Co., Inc.
- Villagran, M. A. L., & Dalton, S. (2018). Minimizing and addressing microaggressions in the workplace: Be proactive, part 2. College & Research Libraries News, 79(10), 538. https://doi.org/10.5860/crln.79.10.538